Open Enrollment

  • Students in Classroom Thank you for your interest in Apache Junction Unified School District Public Schools. The purpose of this information is to provide you with information about the open enrollment process for Apache Junction Unified School District. This information has been prepared in accordance with Arizona State Statute (A.R.S. § 15-816.05) and Apache Junction Unified School District Governing Board Policy JFB. This statute covers open enrollment for non-resident students of our school district as well as resident students of our district.

    The policy defines non-resident students as, "a pupil who resides in this state and who is seeking enrollment in a school district other than the school district in which the pupil resides." For example, a student who lives in the boundaries of the Mesa Unified School District, but wants to attend a school in the Apache Junction Unified School District.

    The policy defines resident transfer students as, "a resident pupil who is enrolled in or seeking enrollment in a school that is within the school district - but outside the attendance area - of the pupil's residence." This applies to our K-6 students and the attendance area boundaries identified by Apache Junction Unified School District. Any student wishing to attend a school within our district, but outside their attendance area, must fill out an open enrollment request. For example, if your home is in the school boundaries for Desert Vista Elementary School, but you want your child to attend Four Peaks Elementary school, you must complete the open enrollment process.

    By June 30 of this school year, you will be notified in writing whether your application has been accepted, placed on a waiting list pending the availability of capacity, or rejected. If you currently reside outside of Apache Junction Unified School District and your application is accepted or placed on a waiting list, your resident district will be notified.

    If your child or children meet the definition of a non-resident pupil or resident transfer pupil, you must fill out an open enrollment application within the deadlines. Failure to comply with this policy may jeopardize your child or children's attendance within our school district or at the school of your choice. Please fill out one open enrollment application for each child. You may make additional copies of the form or come into any school office or the district office and we will make the copies for you.

    Please contact the AJUSD district office at 480-982-1110 for further information or answers to any questions you may have. Thank you.