All schools in Apache Junction USD currently meet the needs of English language learners through Arizona's Structured English Immersion (SEI) program and the use of Individual Language Learner Plan (ILLPs) in accordance with state law.
Through the use of ILLPs, English language learners have their unique language needs met in the mainstream classroom. As part of the Schoolwide Cluster Grouping Model, English language learners are placed in EL cluster classrooms with teacheres who participate in training of how to best teach and support EL students. These teachers create ILLPs for students and monitor their progress toward individual language goals. In this model, EL students learn the grade level content while also developing their English language skills. Additional EL support services are also provided within the mainstream cluster classroom according to student needs.
Overview of Arizona's SEI Program Components
Arizona state law, under House Bill 2064, states that there are basic components which must be present in all approaches of the models. Those components are the following:
- All EL students must receive a minimum of four (4) hours of English Language Development (ELD) every day.
- The four hours must include instruction in Oral Language and Conversation (one hour), Grammar (one hour), Writing (one hour), and Reading (one hour).
- During the EL students' instruction, the students must be grouped by their English Language Proficiency Level (Pre-Emergent, Emergent, Basic, or Intermediate).
- In schools with less than 20 EL students in a 3 grade level band, students are placed on an Individual Language Learner Plan (ILLP) and during their four hours of English language instruction may be mixed with non-EL students.
- The EL students must be taught by Highly Qualified teachers.
If you would like greater detail on all the components of the models, you may visit the Arizona Department Education's website.
Parent Information/Información Para los Padres:
Building Readers Newsletter:
Clickable image for English Imagen clicable para español:
Guidelines for Teachers of EL students
Teachers of mainstream classrooms with EL students enrolled will need to complete an Individual Language Learning Plan for all EL students. Resources for creating an Attachment A (language goal setting document) and Attachment B (assessment review to make recommendations for student learning) are found below in the "Related Files". Resources are listed by stage level.
If you need additional assistance, please contact Robyn Gonzales at 480.982.1110 Ext 2039 or email@example.com
I - Kindergarten
II - 1st and 2nd grades
III - 3rd, 4th, and 5th grades
IV - 6th, 7th, and 8th grades
V - 9th, 10th, 11th, and 12th grades