Grading and Classroom Expectations
Music: The aim of the Desert Vista Music Education program is to assist each child in developing and exploring music through basic theory lessons and applications. The elementary music program builds musical skills through singing, instrument playing, movement, critical listening and creativity. In addition, students develop social skills and the ability to engage in collaborative learning.
The Desert Vista Music Education program follows the standards set forth by the state of Arizona.
- Enter room queitly
- Respect the teacher and students.
- Treat the instruments with respect.
- Keep hands and feet to yourself.
- Follow the safety rules.
- Raise your hand to speak.
- No gum or candy in class.
**Each student begins each new quarter with 100 points**
- All students are required to participate in each music activity unless excused by a doctor, school nurse, or parent. If a student chooses not to participate in the daily activity they will lose 5 points per day that they choose not to participate.
- Good behavior is essential in Music Education class for the benefit of the students and his/her classmates. If a student is asked by the teacher to sit out of class due to a behavior problem the student will lose 8 points per incident.
- If at anytime a teacher observes a student out of line during class whether it be lack of participation, poor attitude, or any other inappropriate conduct the student will lose 2-6 points depending on the degree of the incident.
- Attendance is very important as well. Students can miss one Music class each quarter without having points taken off of their grade. Every day missed after the first miss will result in 2 points off of their Music grade for the quarter.
- Severe disruption during class or behavior resulting in a referral to the office will result in 10 points off of the student's grade for the quarter.